Fame The Musical 30th Anniversary - Review!

Hey all,

She's back back back again with another review! This time, I'm reviewing Fame, The Musical! Once again I have been very kindly invited back by the wonderful team at the Grand Theatre, Wolverhampton for which I am so grateful.

For those who don't know what Fame is, its about a group of people who get into a performing arts school in New York and shows their journey up until graduation. I have seen the newest film, but never the series, original film or the musical. I brought my mom with me and she had been the original films and series.


The main cast for this tour are as follows:


Iris - Jorgie Porter (Hollyoaks)

Tyrone - Jamal Kane Crawford (Bodyguard)
Nick - Keith Jack (BBC's Any Dream Will Do/Dick Whittington)
Serena - Molly McGuire (Dick Whittington/Kiss Me, Katie)
Carmen - Stephanie Rojas (In The Heights)
Joe + Resident Director - Albey Brookes (Aladdin/Dirty Dancing)
Mabel - Hayley Johnston (Sleeping Beauty/Legally Blonde)
Schlomo - Simon Anthony (Wizard Of Oz/Singin' In The Rain)
Miss Sherman - Josie Benson (Sweet Charity/In The Heights)

Now personally, everyone was so extremely talented and everyone was so similar to one another. But I did have a few stand outs. My main standout was actually Josie Benson (Miss Sherman). I know this show focus's on dance mainly, but her voice. Oh my god when she opened her mouth and started to sing I got goosebumps. She was unreal and her song what my favourite (. I also loved Keith's (Nick) vocals, and Jorgie's (Iris) dancing. I didn't even know that Jorgie has previous done ballet! She really surprised me, in a good way of course! I just wanted to also quickly say, Albey Brooke's character, Joe reminded me so much of Howard Wolowitz (Big bang Theory) and is making me wonder wether Howard was based on Joe's character. I feel like Joe should have gotten more laughs than he did. He sounded a little mumbly a times but I don't know if that would maybe something to do with his mic!

As for the set, there isn't much to say really. Multiple pictures all over two massive screens, stairs and balcony/platform, movable desks, lockers and fence. Mainly your typical school kinda stuff (obviously) but it was nothing spectacular or anything. Not much for me for me to say really!



If i'm totally honest, once it finished I didn't feel sad it was over, I felt kind of, meh. It felt very anti climactic to me. But I know the focus is the dancing so I guess a major storyline/plot wasn't overly needed.

To sum up my experience of my show:


Did I enjoy it? Yes

Was it my favourite show? No but by no means the worst I've seen!

Would I see it again? Probably, I would recommend everyone to give it a go!

My rating? 3.5/5


Fame is now showing at The Grand Theatre until 23rd November. Grab your tickets here! 


Thank you to The Grand theatre team once again, I am always so grateful to be able to be invited and feel so lucky to be able to do so. Be among the first to hear about all news and show announcements at the Grand on their Twitter and Instagram!

Follow along with all my adventures on Twitter and Instagram!

Eleanor Abbey x



Comments

Popular Posts