The Entertainer - Review!

Evening All!!

I am so happy to say I am back again with another review of a show at The Grand Theatre, Wolverhampton! I was kindly invited back to see John Osbourne's 'The Entertainer'


Again, like the other shows I've seen at The Grand this year, I went in knowing virtually nothing about the show. Just that it was about man who was fond of the drink and was dodging taxes.


Casting, there are only 5 roles and they are as follows:
Archie Rice - Shane Richie (Eastenders/Benidorm/Everybody's Talking About Jamie)
Jean Rice - Diana Vickers (X Factor/Rocky Horror Show/Son of A Preacher Man)
Phoebe Rice - Sara Crow** (Calendar Girls Tour/Eastenders/Midsummer Murders)
Billy Rice - Pip Donaghy (The Lottery Of Love/An Inspector Calls)
Frank Rice - Christopher Bonwell (In Praise of Love/Twelfth Night)

**We actually had understudy, Alice Osmanski (Much Ado About Nothing/A Christmas Carol) play the role of Phoebe!


All were fantastic actors, genuinely, every single one. I absolutely cannot fault the talent that was on that stage. Shane Richie didn't have the best singing voice, but he suited the style he was doing. It makes in very intrigued to see him in Everybody's Talking About Jamie! The standout actor for me, was definitely Diana Vickers (Jean). She had to show so much emotion and I really felt for her character being in a family who revolve around drink and having a dad like Archie.

Now, Im going to be completely honest, I didn't understand the show one bit. Neither did my sister. We gathered it was set in the 80's. We realised it was about the Falklands war with Argentina once the second act started but in all honesty, my sister and I know absolutely nothing about it. In the slightest. we were never taught about it at school and our parents had never mentioned it. And neither of us have seen Evita either! So for me, not knowing anything about the war and that time in History, I struggled to follow along really.

Initially, we found the show quite funny. The first 20 minutes or so were good! Consistent laugher coming from the audience. The jokes were very much 'dad jokes' but nevertheless still really funny! But then it took a sudden turn and just got quite serious I guess and it was I was watching a different show. The jokes just sort of stopped (or I just didn't get them). It was such a shame! But like I said, the actors were superb! No complaints whatsoever! It just I didn't really understand the plot really, until the second act. 


So to sum up my experience seeing The Entertainer for the first time:

Did I enjoy it? Initially, yes.

Was it my favourite show? No!

Would I see it again? Unfortunately no, not this time!

My rating? 3/5! Not really my cup of tea! There are few plays that really hold my attention and really immerse me into the show. If you are someone who really enjoys plays and some outstanding acting, this is definitely the show for you and I would recommend everyone gives it a fair shot! You could end up absolutely loving it!

Finally, a huge thank you to Scott and the team at The Grand, Wolverhampton for asking me to come along! I always feel so incredibly lucky and grateful! Click here for tickets to 'The Entertainer' now at the Grand until 12th October inc! Follow them on Twitter + Instagram to be among the first to hear about news and show announcements!

EleanorAbbeyxo

Follow along with my adventures on Instagram + Twitter

Comments

Popular Posts