Nativity: The Musical - Review!

Hey loves!

Today I am so bloody excited to be reviewing Debbie Isitt's 'Nativity: The Musical' at The Grand Theatre, Wolverhampton. I was invited back once again by the fabulous team at The Grand and my god I am still absolutely buzzing from watching the show last night!! 

Now, I have never seen The Nativity film before (I know! Shock, horror! Haha), but I knew it was a Christmas film starring Martin Freeman, Pam Ferris and Alan Carr. 10 years after the film's release, I finally see it!

First things first, if you've never seen the show/film, its about a school wanting put on The Nativity, and every child/s wish is start in it. But this is no ordinary story telling of the nativity, they're attempting to do a musical version! Trouble starts brewing when Mr Maddens promises that a big producer will be attending the Nativity to turn it into a film. Follow along with Mr Maddens, Mr Poppy and the hilarious children and see if they manage to bring a whole lot of sparkle and shine to their show and have their Christmas wishes come true.

Secondly, the cast. In no particular order:
Scott Paige (Chitty Chitty Bang Bang/Addams Family/Eugenious) as Mr Poppy, Scott Garnham (Billy Elliot/Les Miserables) as Mr Maddens, Ashleigh Gray (Wicked/Grease/Secret Garden) as Jennifer Lore and Dani Dyer (Love Island) as Polly Parker. Every single one of the cast and crew were absolutely phenomenal. I don't have a bad word to say about anyone. But I do have my standouts.

Firstly, Scott Paige (Mr Poppy). If you follow me on any of my socials (links below), you will know I adore Scott and have seen him previously in Chitty (2016) and Addams Family (2017) but this was, in my opinion, his best work yet. The role suited him so well and he has a cracking set of vocals. I have never cry laughed so much in my life. It really does feel like this role was made for him. You see both him funny and emotional side. Outstanding performance.


Second, Scott Garnham (Mr Maddens). I didn't know who Scott was until I knew I was coming to the Nativity, and oh my god how had I not heard/seen this guy before? He has a fantastic voice and he really add's so much depth to his character. Himself and Scott Paige were the perfect duo and I honestly couldn't see anyone else suiting this role. I really hope I get to see him in future projects!

Lastly, and certainly not least, Charles Brunton (Mr Shakespere). This guy was HILARIOUS. He played his character very over the top but it worked!! He was a perfect 'villain' and deserve so much more recognition!! Such a great voice and perfect acting. He really impressed me and would love to see him perform again in future productions. 

Onto the set. Its set at Christmas so obviously there were lots of presents, snow, christmas trees, stars and angels etc. You sat in your seat, looked at the stage and had an instant smile on your face. Everything is so bold and bright, I love it!!

Lastly, the music. Its so extremely catchy and so well written. Of course there were some christmas songs in there but there are so many original songs and I loved each and every one. My favourites being 'My First Day Of School', 'Herod The Rock Opera' and finale song 'Sparkle and Shine'. But honestly they are all fantastic. 

To wrap up:

Did I enjoy it? Absolutely

Was it my favourite show? Definitely in my top 3!

Would I see it again? 10000% Yes!!

My rating? 5/5!!! A must see for all the family!!!

You can catch the Nativity at The Grand until Saturday 2nd November so be sure to grab tickets here and get the family ready to 'Sparkle and Shine!!!!

I'd like to thank The Grand theatre team once again, I am always so grateful to be able to be invited and feel so lucky to be able to do so. Be among the first to hear about all news and show announcements at the Grand on their Twitter and Instagram!

Follow along with all my adventures on Twitter and Instagram!

Eleanor Abbey x

Socials
Nativity The Musical UK
Debbie Isitt (All round fab lady!)
Scott Paige (Mr Poppy)
Scott Garnham (Mr Maddens)
Ashleigh Gray (Jennifer)
Charles Brunton (Mr Shakespeare)
Dani Dyer (Polly Parker)

Comments

Popular Posts