Dick Whittington Panto - Review!

Hey m'loves!

I am so unbelievably excited to be reviewing 'Dick Whittington' at The Grand Theatre, Wolverhampton. I was invited by the fabulous team at The Grand to celebrate not only this years pants, but to also celebrate The Grand Theatre's 125th Birthday! How exciting huh?

I have been going to The Grand since I was about 4/5 years old and we used to go and see the panto's every single year so being asked to go this year and help celebrate this huge milestone was such a special thing for me, especially as I was able to take both my mom and sister with me.

Right, lest start with the cast! In no particular order:
Dick Whittington - Ryan Thomas (Corrie/Neighbours)
Queen Rat - Su Pollard (Hi-De-Hi/You Rang M’Lord)
Alderman Fitzwarren - Jeffrey Holland (Hi-De-Hi/You Rang M’Lord)
Alice Fitzwarren - Katie Marie-Carter (Oklahoma/Annie Get Your Gun)
Tommy - Jordan Ginger (A Little Princess/Jack And The Beanstalk)
Idle Jack - Aaron James (Only Fools And Horses/Live At The Apollo)
Sarah The Cook - Ian Adams (Cinderella/Christmas Carol)
Fairy Bowbells - Julia Paton (Oliver/Godspell)

I genuinely don't have a bad word to say about any single member of the cast. Only thing I would say is that Ryan Thomas doesn't have the strongest singing voice but to be honest, he didn't have much singing to do anyway, only a small section here and there! We also had a surprise guest come on stage as a sultan, the one and only Jimmy Tarbuck! (Sunday Night At The London Palladium)

Jack (James) Sally (Adams) Fitzwarren (Holland)
Pic Credit Tim Thursfield – Express & Star
Although everyone did an absolutely fantastic job, I do have two people who I really thought were fabulous. Aaron James (Jack) was so funny, I actually cried from laughing at his impressions. His A - Z of impressions was genius!!! Also, Julia Paton was my other standout. Her voice was absolutely stunning! Her voice was so consistent and powerful! Her costumes were so sparkly I loved them!

Onto the set. Its set at Christmas so obviously there were lots of presents, snow, christmas trees, stars and angels etc. You sat in your seat, looked at the stage and had an instant smile on your face. Everything is so bold and bright, I love it!!

Not too much to say about the set, very bold and bright. The best piece of set was involving Queen Rat (I won't spoil it, you'll know when you see it!) Now, the costumes, oh my they were good!! My favourite costumes were definitely Sarah the Cooks and Fairy Bowbells! Sarah's looks reminded me of a british Bianca Del Rio (google if your unsure!) 

Once the show had finished, the curtain rose again as members of the cast brought a huge birthday cake on stage and we all sang happy birthday to The Grand! It was so lovely to see so many people there to celebrate!

To sum up:

Did I enjoy it? 10000%

Would I see it again? Absolutely!

My rating? 5/5!!! A must see for all the family this christmas!!!

Dick Whittington is now showing at The Grand Tuesday - Sunday until 12th January 2020. Snap up your tickets here and have a fun night out with your family and friends!

I'd like to thank The Grand theatre team once again, especially Scott and Emma. I am always so grateful to be able to be invited and feel so lucky to be able to do so. Be among the first to hear about all news and show announcements at the Grand on their Twitter and Instagram!

Follow along with all my adventures on Twitter and Instagram!

Hope you all have a very Merry Christmas!

Eleanor Abbey x

Socials
Ryan Thomas
Su Pollard
Aaron James
Jeffrey Holland
Ian Adams

Comments

Popular Posts