The History Boys - Review!

Hey lovelies!

I am so grateful and excited to have been asked back to the Grand to see The History Boys, written by Alan Bennett. Press nights are always so fun and such a great atmosphere!

Like many of the shows I have reviewed, I haven't seen the film or stage production so I went into this completely spoiler free, which I kind of like! 
This production is directed by Jack Ryder (Eastenders) who has previously directed Take That's 'The Band'. 

For those who don't know, heres a synopsis of the play from The Grands website: 

"An unruly bunch of bright, funny sixth-form boys in pursuit of sex, sport and a place at university. A maverick English teacher at odds with the young and shrewd supply teacher and a headmaster obsessed with results… In Alan Bennett’s classic play, staff room rivalry and the anarchy of adolescence provoke insistent questions about history and how you teach it; about education and its purpose."

As for the cast, here there are, in no particular order:

Hector - Ian Redford (Corrie/Emmerdale)
Dominic Treacy, Arun Bassi, Joe Wiltshire Smith, James Schofield
+ Thomas Grant by Tim Thursfield
Headmaster - Jeffery Holland (HiDeHi/Corrie)
Mrs Lintott - Victoria Carling (4 o clock cloud/Corrie)
Irwin - Lee Comley (Years and Years)

Akthar - Arun Bassi 
Posner - Thomas Grant
Scripps - Frazer Hadfield
Crowther - Adonis Jenieco
Lockwood - James Schofield
Dakin - Jordan Scowen
Timms - Dominic Treacy
Rudge - Joe Wiltshire Smith

Every single member of the cast were so talented! But as always there were a few standouts for me! Dominic (Timms) wit and comedic timing was perfect. He had me constantly laughing which is a huge plus for me! And Thomas Grant (Posner). His acting was brilliant but my god he has a great voice! He barely opened his mouth and this beautiful voice came out! Really impressed and would love to see him in a musical!

The set was very simplistic but really resembled a classroom. Transition videos played on a huge screen between scenes which were filmed at an actual school (my old high school!) and the change between scenes was done quick and swiftly with brief pieces of songs being played.

Director: Jack Ryder
In summary:

Did I enjoy it? I did!


Would I see it again? Yes, I would.

My rating? 4.55/5!! I would definitely see this play again!!

The History Boys is now showing at Wolverhampton Grand till 22nd February 2020. Get your tickets here! Thank you so much to the grand for the invite, always so grateful and appreciative! 

Speak to you all soon!

EleanorAbbey x

My Socials:

Comments

Popular Posts