Everybody’s Talking About Jamie - Review!

Well hello there!


After a long 18 months of no theatre for me (thanks covid!), I'm back with a review of Everybody’s  Talking About Jamie! How exciting! I can't tell you how exciting it was to be back at my favourite theatre again, The Grand in Wolverhampton.

First things first, the cast. Honestly I can't fault a single cast member. They were all absolutely fantastic and exceeded any and all expectations I had. Layton Williams (Jamie New) is an absolute icon. I can't imagine anyone else in this role. His comedic timing is spot on and his voice is unreal. If I had to chose, my other standout performances would be Amy Ellen Richardson (Margaret New), Shobna Gulati (Ray, who, may I say, is tied for top spot with Layton for me!) and Sharan Phull (Pritti Pasha). Like I said, every single cast member was fantastic but these are my standouts for sure!

I just wanted to a little nod so all the covid jokes. They really did make me howl and kind of made it deem even more relatable?! 

Okay, so, the music. I'm going to be honest, I've been listening to the original cast recording on repeat for ages so I was very familiar with the songs in the show. But hearing the first iconic bass line gave me goosebumps. Hearing certain songs live bring out so much emotion. I won't spoil anything, just make sure you bring tissues! You're 100% going to need them!


Finally the set. I loved it. The staging is so cleverly done! And the band is onstage which i always love! I will say, walking into the theatre and seeing those iconic desks set up waiting did make me feel so emotional. I'd wanted to see this show for so long and just seeing the set brought me so much excitement. My fave piece of set is the cat walk platform for sure.

So, in summary, I bloody loved it. And I would recommend going no matter what age you are. The show is full of laugher, love, emotion, heart and friendship. Accepting everyone for who they are, no matter your gender, colour, age, race etc. Such a positive and uplifting show.

A huge thank you to Scott and the team at The Grand for inviting me. Everybody’s Talking About Jamie is running until 9th October and you can buy tickets here  💙

All my love

Eleanor Abbey xo 

Come say hi on Instagram 👋🏻

Second photo taken by Jonathan Hipkiss

Comments

Popular Posts