Educating Rita - Review

Afternoon!

Today I am so excited to be writing a review for Willy Russell’s ‘Educating Rita’ at Wolverhampton Grand Theatre!

My dad and I were both very kindly invited by Wolves Grand to go and see the first night of Educating Rita starring Stephen Tompkinson (Ballykissangel/Wild at heart/DCI Banks) as Frank and Jessica Johnson (School For Seduction/Educating Rita/Coronation Street) as Rita. 

You’ll be getting two review from two perspectives and age groups! One from my dad who in the 50+ age group has seen the 1983 film of the same name (Julie Walters and Michael Caine) And one from my self, a 25 year old who has never seen the film. We’ll each give a rating out of five stars and what we both thought of the show!




Dad’s Review
“I really thoroughly enjoyed it. Funny, humorous + witty. Both actors were fantastic, very entertaining and portrayed perfectly. People who have seen and loved the film like myself would love the play. If had the chance, I would 100% see it again. 5* show!

My Review
I went into this not knowing much about the play or the the fact there was a film until a friend said. I wanted to try and know as little as possible so I was very open minded. The whole show is don’t by two people and is set in Frank’s (Tompkinson) office full of books. For virtually all of the play, Frank was drunk and that can be so difficult to pull off but Tompkinson nailed it. The connection and comedic timing between him and Rita (Johnson) was spot on. Never failed to make the whole theatre laugh. Both actors have outstanding performances. If haven’t seen the film before PLEASE don’t let it put you off!! And with it being set in the same room for the whole play, the change in scenes is done dimming lights and playing some music. Scenes didn’t seem choppy or rushed. So what’s my rating? I’d give it a solid 4*. The show, as a whole, is such a high standard and I wouldn’t highly recommend everyone gives it a go at least once! I will always be a musical girl at heart, but this has now opened myself up to trying more plays! 

Lastly, I just want to say a huge thank you to The Grand Theatre, Wolverhampton for inviting my dad and I along. I will leave the link to The Grands website and tickets to Educating Rita!

Have a great week guys!

Eleanor Abbey xx

To go to The Grands website Click here
For tickets to Educating Rita Click here

Comments

Popular Posts