Hair 50th Anniversary - Review

Evening m’loves!

I’ve got a another review for you today! The Wolverhampton Grand kindly invited me back to see the 50th Anniversary production of ‘Hair’! I had never seen the show before and decided not to research or listen to anything beforehand so I went in completely free of any spoilers!

As for cast and creative you had Jake Quickenden (X Factor) as Berger, Marcus Collins (X Factor) as Hud, Paul Wilkins (Les Miserables) as Claude and Daisy Wood Davis(Hollyoaks/Rock Horror Tour) as Sheila.

There were a few members of the cast that really caught my eye and did an outstanding job. Hud (Collins), Claude (Wilkins) and Dionne (Aiesha Pease). These three in particular really stood out to me. Collins has a great voice and made laugh so hard throughout the whole show. You can see that he is in his element on stage and that he puts so much time and passion into perfecting the role. Okay with Wilkins I’m biased as I have seen him before in Les Miserables and already knew he was a brilliant performer. It was nice to see him in a completely different role and really shine. And finally, Aiesha Pease (Dionne) had a cracking set of pipes. The voice that came out of that woman was unbelievable. For me she was the best female vocalist. Please know there wasn’t a single bad vocalist/performer, just that these three really stood out to me. 



If you have seen Hair or even just seen pictures, you’ll know it’s very hippie and very much about peace and freedom. And after going through the programme I learned it was about protesting and smoking lots and lots of weed! 

Honestly? I didn’t really understand fully what was going on! I had to ask my friend a few times as he had seen it before and he explained it to me. I couldn’t tell if what was happening in a scene was actually happening or wether it was one of them hallucinating. It all blended into one for me. It just seemed like one big acid trip, which I guess is what they were going for! 

The music is interesting. Not really a soundtrack I can see myself listening to on repeat singing at the top of my lungs but it’s not bad. There were a few songs I was really enjoying and having a dance to but most of them weren’t my cup of tea.

So to sum up my experience seeing Hair for the first time:

Did I enjoy it? Yes

Was it my favourite musical? No. But it’s not my least favourite either!

Would I see it again? Yes but I’m not in a rush to see it again!

My rating? 3.5/5! I found it quite hard to follow and it just wasn’t my cup of tea! BUT don’t let this stop you giving it a go! The cast and crew really are so extremely talented.

Thanks for reading and I’ll speak to you all soon! Don’t forget to check out the Grands Website for tickets to Hair running until this Saturday 27th July!

EleanorAbbey xo

Comments

Popular Posts